- Since 2007 all puppies are screened under the Australian Canine Eye Scheme (ACES) at 6-7 weeks old.
- Breeding stock is re-tested under the ACES between 2-6 years old
- Breeding stock is re-tested under the ACES after the dog has reached 9 years old
- Commencing 2013 all breeding stock is DNA tested for PRA-BJ1 before breeding or must be Normal by Parentage History for the disease.
Dogs with the following results may be bred
- Normal eyes
- Minor iris to iris or minor floating PPM (of no clinical significance)
- Dogs with minor iris to lens or iris to cornea with less than 3 cornea opacities and tiny coloboma. These breedings with be under breed, test and record.
- Carriers of Affecteds of PRA-BJ1 may only be bred to a Basenji that is Normal.
Dogs with the following may not be bred
- Dogs with severe iris to lens or iris to cornea PPM
- he following combinations of PRA-BJ1 – carrier x carrier, carrier x affected and affected x affected.
- PRA – affected on physical examination
- Dogs affected with Corneal Dystrophy – Endothelial