Carefully selecting for temperament, health, and conformation
Careful consideration of the dog breed suitable for your lifestyle is critical when deciding which breed will make the best companion for your family. Puppy purchasers should be aware that Basenji puppies will normally go on to live 12-16 years, and sometimes p to 18 years - this is a long lived breed. Good nutrition and veterinary care, especially in old age can be expensive. All dog owners have an obligation for responsible dog ownership.
Early environmental enrichment and stimulation is essential. "A puppy that is raised in an impoverished environment has a smaller brain. It has the same number of cells, but not as many wired together." Coppinger (2001)
Tambuzi Basenjis is a preservation breeder. This means my breeding program is designed to protect the legacy of breeders that first rediscovered this remarkable breed. I breed to preserve the breed as closely as possible to the breed standard and aspirations of those first breeders. To breed Basenjis with the correct shape, proportions and substance yet maintaining degree of elegance synonymous for the breed. I breed so that future generations carry on the genetics required to maintain the Basenji as it evolved. By extensive health testing of my Basenjis I ensure that future generations are not marred with the health concerns of the past.
Purchasing a puppy from Tambuzi comes with significant benefits including heavily discounted council registration:
Puppy Pack - Offered with Puppies 2022
Inaddition to the benefits listed below I will be adding a significant new benefit to my 2022 puppy buyers: free virtual puppy 'training' sessions conducted by a professional dog trainer. More on this new initiatve will be listed on this page shortly.
- Access to the puppy development page on this website which offers information about the litter; track the puppies; daily weight chart; photos & videos; worming details; vaccination details. Comprehensive information is provided on these pages to assist the Basenji owner; puppy check list; diet information; socialisation & training; health, wellbeing and a holistic approach to raising your puppy; and the law and your responsibilities as a pet owner;
- Owners will receive a healthy, well adjusted puppy, of at least 8 weeks old (puppies will not be homed earlier than 8 weeks);
- The puppy will have up-to-date vaccinations (C3) to the date or transfer;
- The puppy that is fully wormed up until the date of transfer;
- The puppy will be microchipped;
- The transfer of ownership for the microchip will be completed by me and is included in the purchase price of the puppy;
- The puppy will have a health check prior to sale and a copy of the veterinary report is provided to the new owner prior to purchase;
- The puppy will be registered on the Main or Limited Registry with the ANKC (DOGS Victoria). Pedigree Registration papers are supplied and signed. Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) transfer of ownership is included in the purchase price or in the case of Limited Registration, 12 months membership of Dogs Victoria is included in the price of the puppy. This membership offers substantial benefits such as reduced council registration fees;
- The puppy will be eye screened at 6-7 weeks by an Australian Canine Eye Scheme (ACES) eye specialist. I am one of the only breeders in Australia that eye screens all puppies before they go to their forever homes. A copy of the ACES eye screening examination is provided to the new owner as part of the 'puppy manual'. This eye screen will identify any congenital eye issues (issues the puppy is born with) purchasers will know if any congenital eye issues exist before they purchase a puppy from me;
- Where available a copy of the DNA profiles of both parents. This report will outline any molecular DNA diseases tests carried out on the parents and where available these health results is provided to the new owner in the 'puppy manual'. No puppy purchased from me will be at risk for any disease where a DNA test applicable to Basenjis is available - guaranteed;
- A health declaration and health guarantees are provided;
- Where completed a copy of any other health certification for the parents is supplied in the 'puppy manual'; including eye screening and/or hip scoring;
- A comprehensive puppy manual/information pack is provided to new owners. This manual includes information such as; diet sheet; socialisation; training; raising a puppy; vaccination and titre testing information; holistic health and wellbeing - a natural health approach to raining your puppy; worming information; breed health information; breed characteristics; responsible dog ownership information; and more;
- A profile report is provided to all new owner for their puppy. This report is a snapshot of all medical history; vaccination, worming along with whelping details, DNA testing and more information about the puppy itself;
- A comprehensive puppy pack including toys, grooming equipment and products, food, Toy is provided as a goodbye gift - for puppies travelling by air a toy is not permitted in the puppies crate - in this case a blanket is provided;
- A contract of sale: signed by all parties finalising the sale. The contract is designed to protect the puppy in all instances. Certain assurances are outlined in this document. Any special conditions of sale will be noted in the contract.
- 1 year membership of the Victorian Basenji Breed Association Inc.
- For puppies on the ANKC Limited Register - 1 year Companion Membership of Dogs Victoria and transfer of puppy into new owners name. This gives new owners significant benefits in that in 1. you will receive a heavily discounted rate (same as the desexed rate) for registration of the puppy with your local council. 2. you will be except from desexing the puppy in ccouncils that have manadtory desexing at a very young age.
- Lifetime return: if for whatever reason a puppy is no longer wanted, I will take the puppy/adult back at any time.
- Lifetime support: questions, problems, and issues are diligently answered. Assistance with any problem no matter how small for the dog's life.
Better condition, better muscle tone and better life outcomes: my puppies are weaned on quality wet food and quickly transition to a mix of home prepared raw based and commercially available raw diet. Puppies are never fed dry 'kibble' food or commercially prepared, highly processed and extruded food. I offer a full and comprehensive puppy manual which fully explains the easy approach to raw-based healthy feeding.
I am hoping to breed in 2023. The breeding is not confirmed. The information on this page related to my 2022 litters, all puppies are sold. If you are interested to know more about my 2023 litter an expression of interest is open. Basenjis only have one season a year and litters are normally born late May-July.
Internet myths about the Basenji
- Basenjis are not hypoallergenic - Basenjis have a short coat that some people are allergic to. The breed does shed, normally after winter and some have a full coat change at this time.
- Basenjis are not quiet or mute - the breed does not bark like other dogs. However, it is far from mute and/or quiet. A Basenji that is unhappy or left alone can make a lot of noise and/or can become highly destructive.
- Basenjis are not overly suitable for apartments - unless there is someone home almost all of the time or there is a fully fenced outside area, Basenjis can be problematic in apartments. There are numerous posts on social media from people that libe in an apartment who have purchased a Basenji who are having difficulty with noise and toileting their Basenji.